I was getting bored with my usual selection of breakfast – oatmeal, bread, or boiled eggs, steamed sweet potato.. I love cereals but the price sold at supermarket is getting way too high and it’s not so fresh because of long shelf life.
When I found the recipe of Homemade Granola, I was super ecstatic. Not only it is healthy, the recipe is super easy that anyone can make it. I am someone who loves simple and fast recipes.
I make these granola once a month, and it can be stored in airtight container up to 2 weeks. Besides breakfast, I also love it as a mid-day snack. I am someone who gets cranky when hungry, so snacking on granola keeps my tummy happy 🙂
5 cups (500g) rolled oats (not instant oats)
1 cup (150g) whole raw almonds
1 cup (150g) raw sunflower/pumpkin seeds
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt
2 tsp canola oil
1 cup (240ml) raw honey (do not use processed honey because it gets burnt easily)
1/4 cup (80ml) maple syrup or apple sauce
1-2 cups dried fruits (apricot, raisin, cranberry or dates)
1. Preheat oven 320F/170C. Butter baking sheets on the baking pans.
2. In a bowl, mix oil, honey, syrup and sugar.
3. Pour in dry ingredients (rolled oats, nuts, seeds, ground cinnamon & salt) and toss together until all dry ingredients is coated in liquid.
4. Divide granola evenly onto baking sheets, bake for 30minutes or until golden brown. Stir the granola occasionally so it browns evenly.
5. Remove from oven and place on rack to cool
6. Once completely cool, add dried fruits & store in airtight container. Can store for a few weeks.
Makes 10 cups
If you prefer less sweet, reduce sugar, honey & syrup. Serve with yogurt, milk or fresh fruits.
This is my favourite way of eating granola – with homemade yoghurt. Heavenly..
Will share the yoghurt recipe soon.